Wednesday 2 December 2009

Erwin Olaf-esque...




So yesterday, I was thinking about projects that could be achieved within this brief, many little ideas came to me. One idea that stood out, was that for a while, i have been pondering on the idea of doing some staged photography, much like the artists; Erwin Olaf. I really like the style of his photographs, how they are simple, almost colorless atmosphere, and he way that they intrigue one to observe them for long periods, even though they are very simple. I feel that the reason that I probably like this style, is because they feel much like a Painting, carefully crafted, eye-catching and incredibly beautifully edited.

I was looking at a magazine which held some of his images, and this there then got me thinking, I started to think about how i could if this concept into visual language, and collections, carefully thinking about all of the people i know and their collections. I am now arranging to photograph different people collections for inspiration into this, and to see how these collections and my own knowledge of these people will change in looking into this.

One major idea that i am in he process of maybe arranging, is working with someone I know, who is in a drag act, and is constantly buying new makeup, wigs and clothing, his collection of drag act costumes is constantly growing, and I really want to photograph this collection and look at it's place in society; as it is defiantly something controversial, but in my eyes, I want to unpick the idea that people should live their lives how they want to live it, and now how society says; and so hopefully want to connote this through the work I produce...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul the idea to look at men in drag sounds really good! if your wanting to maybe do any phography with him, let me know id love to film with a fly on the wall approach, your day finding out about his drag life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that could have been so good. Sadly, he really let me down, was up for it, then chickened out at the last minute. Maybe we'll go drag queen hunting... Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete