Sunday 3 January 2010

Dan Flynn...

'Facebook Friend' Is Another Way of Saying 'Stranger'
I don't own an iPod, XBox, or a Blackberry. I avoid Facebook and MySpace. I like technology when it saves time or makes life easier. I try to steer clear when it wastes time or complicates life. I proudly never learned to program a VCR, with its displacement by the DVD vindicating my ignorance. I wear your "atavist" charge as a badge of honor! Despite repeated entreaties that I start a Facebook page, I have stayed away. Matt Labash articulates my aversion to anti-social social networking sites in a must-read Weekly Standard cover story. For my mouthpiece Labash, Facebook is a cyber cesspool of superficiality, exhibitionism, and voyeurism, where "there is the crushing anticlimax of people re-entering your life who might've fallen away into your past, because in each other's past is where you mutually belong."

No comments:

Post a Comment